EDCI335

Interaction

The video I chose to show is a TedTalk about how our screens are actually causing us to be more depressed. While I was trying to find a video that was more subtle in its approach, I liked the way this presenter, Adam Alter, brought the psychological effects to light.

While watching the video, I would not ask the students to take notes, but rather use that time to observe. There is a part of the presentation in which Alter mentions that people tend to use apps that make them unhappy and have negative effects on their mental health, which include social networking, gaming, and entertainment. So I would ask my students to take the time to make a list of the apps that makes them feel stressed or unhappy and write down how much time they tend to spend on it. Then I would have everyone get into small groups and use this time to discuss.

I would also ask the students to make a journal post that will only be seen by me, as this will give them a chance to discuss the topic. This will be an opportunity to get feedback about the activity and see how much it impacted the student.

Since the video does most of the explaining, there will not be any excess amount of work on my end. Also, since this activity is more individually done, it can be done for a large number of students.

What I like about the TedTalk is that it caters to most learners. Its main points are delivered through audio, however, there are visual examples and they also provide a transcript script as well. And through the class activity that will help with “hands-on” learning, I believe that this video will be inclusive for all students.

« »